Sunday, August 21, 2011

Skin 101


So I went for my derm appointment the other day, and was told I could graduate and no longer require regular sessions, whee! You've no idea how fab the news is to me, because it's honestly a pain to wait in line for my dermatologist. :( Yes you guessed right, I visit Dr. Ong of Maple Clinic and everyone in the know will understand what I mean by long queues even at the Orchard branch, le sigh. 

Anyhow, I am really glad she managed to resolve the worst of my skin issues! I usually have pretty clear skin on normal/good days, this was me sans makeup during March this year (please ignore my eyebags! :( I know they are bad!): 


Then I went on my US trip and very stupidly forgot to throw in summer essentials: a good moisturizer and SUNBLOCK. :O Ok this has to do with my last minute packing style but honestly, how dumb can I get. I was pretty badly burnt before I made it to a Sephora store to grab something, anything. :( The beginning of a sunburn, also sans makeup:  


Urps, you can't really see, but I had mini bumps all over!! The dry skin after the burn subsided was very agonizing. I had ridiculously disgusting breakouts all over I wanted to dig a hole and hide, seriously. :( Am super glad the horrible phase is behind me now. Never want it to happen again tyvm. D: 

So anywayyyy, here's a short review on some of the items (besides the medical products I got from the derm) I've been religiously using and helping me tons: 

DHC Deep Cleansing Oil


I used to be on Shu Uemura, but I am totally won over by DHC. It's much cheaper (my wallet is very happy about this!) and the skin feels a lot better using this one. The olive oil in DHC helps to keep the skin feeling hydrated. I really hate the feeling of stripped skin! It gets rid of makeup and sunblock for me really well. 

Avene Gentle Milk Cleanser 


I've dry sensitive skin, so Dr. Ong highlighted that I should by all means steer clear of foaming cleansers because they dry my skin further. So for those ladies with the same skin type, this is a really good option. I was a little annoyed with how my skin don't feel clean with a milk cleanser, but it's really a matter of getting used to it. My skin is much happier with this, and remember to clean your face for at least a minute! 

La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL SPF50+ Extreme Fluid 


For those who are looking for a good sunblock, this is it! I really like it that it is in fluid form than cream, because I abhor the sticky feeling you get with cream products. This one is definitely non comedogenic by the way. High SPF for great protection as well. 

Neutrogena Hydro Boost Mask


And for those looking for a great basic moisturizing mask, get the one from Neutrogena! The Neutrogena Hydro Boost Mask works wonders. Just slap it on after cleansing at night, randomly surf the net for half an hour and you are done! Masks help a lot, so don't be lazy ok, haha! 

For those who are keen to visit Dr Ong but hate to queue, try getting an appointment at the Orchard Heeren branch. You will still have to wait, but the half an hour to 1 hour wait is easy peasy compared to the ridiculous queues at the other branches. Hokay! Hope this helped with those dealing with skin issues! :) Of course things like sleeping early (which I obviously fail at because I am blogging this at 4am) and drinking water help too, so yes, 没有丑女人,只有懒女人!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Simin,

    I go to Dr Ong too! :) she's the best I've seen so far, even better than those super-expensive Paragon clinics type! Just something additional to share with other readers: it's relatively cheaper too, $100-$200 for full set of skincare (depending on your requirements and lifestyles and skin types). From what I know, appointments at the Orchard Heeren branch can go up to a couple of months later. So if you don't wanna wait, you have to join the super long queue (at least 1-2hrs before they open) in their Tampines branch and another west-side branch.

    Love,
    Hazel

    ReplyDelete